Thursday, June 18, 2009

Giddy UPDATED

UPDATED:

Brian claims that I am trying to kill him. He told me once he read my original blog post that he was not going to eat the bee pollen because it comes from a bee's butt. (I don't actually know if this is accurate, but he knows more about stuff than I do, so I wouldn't doubt it.) Anywho, I added the pollen to his oatmeal on Friday thinking he would never know and would just eat it, and I would proudly tout that I had tricked him into eating bee pollen. As it turns out, when you cook bee pollen, its gross. (Honestly, it's kind of gross anyway, but if you swallow quickly, it just pretty much tastes like a vitamin.) BUT, when you COOK it, it smells nasty, you know, kind of like a vitamin. Cooked.

Anyhow, he didn't eat his oatmeal on Friday, but heated it up today for breakfast. He started out by saying that it looked funny, and then when he ate a bite, he said that it was pretty gross. He asked me if oatmeal could go bad, and I told him that it was probably just the bee pollen. He jumps up and says "You're trying to kill me!!!" Apparently, he claims he's highly allergic to pollen in microscopic forms, and that my oatmeal-pollen concoction might kill him.

I'm not convinced, and you think he would mention HIS ALLERGY as the top reason he shouldn't eat pollen, not that it comes from a bee's butt.

Regardless, I have a large tub of bee pollen that I have to eat by myself.
_________________________________________________________________

Original Post:

Okay, raise your hand if you DIDN'T know that I'm a dork. We-ell, welcome to reality, folks! I'm about as dorky as they come!!

So, I'm beside myself with glee. No, not that Glee, (although, I'm positively hysterical over the prospect of watching that show this fall. Have you SEEN the pilot, people?? It's magical. But I digress....)

I went to the farmer's market today. Georgia's Farmers Market in Plano, to be exact. Oh, the smells. The glorious colors. I was overwhelmed with the desire to whip out my camera and begin shooting the precious wicker baskets of berries, and to capture the perfect purple of the eggplant! (I withheld- I didn't want to have to explain that I wanted to post the pictures to my blog to the 92-yr-old market manager, and then get into what a blog actually was...)

So, instead, I made my selections, practically skipping down the aisle with my basket, ogling the pineapples and thumping watermelons. I'm telling you, this is the most excited I've been since I last purchased school supplies (and THAT was a good day!!)

AND THEN. I discovered IT. I had HEARD of IT, but in fact never seen IT. Bee pollen. Being touted as THE perfect food. You take a teaspoon a day, and you supposedly live for 500 years. Hello!! (It's also supposed to be a great remedy for allergies, which you know Brian suffers from.)

The 92-yr-old market manager rang me up and bagged my goodies. (At this point, I'm salivating over my grape tomatoes- jeez, I need more excitement in my life!)

Sooooo, take a look!! (Keep in mind- I'm NO photographer. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make my camera do the cool focus thing where the background is fuzzed out. Just imagine that these pictures make you weep with the beauty of the strawberry texture. They don't- but just imagine.)



Can you smell the cantaloupe?? (I can!)



Check out this bee pollen. I asked the 92-yr-old market manager what it tasted like, and he said that its nutty. Hmm. This could be good or bad... But, if I live for 500 years, who cares??

I'm off to cut fruit!! Yeah!!!

2 comments:

SHL said...

on a "bee" note- there is this place in NY that makes mead wine! You should totally check it out: http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/nyc/116/This_local_honey-based_wine_is_creating_a_buzz.htm

When is your trip?

czstout said...

Love the update!! I can totally see him and his reaction!