This past Tuesday night, I had a headache so I went to bed early. Around 1:30am, I woke up and saw that Goose wasn't in bed (she normally sleeps in bed with us.) I woke Brian up and asked him where she was. He said she was in the crate b/c he thought she might throw up. Hmmm.
I asked why, and he told me the following story:
Apparently, around midnight, Goose had to pee, so Brian let her outside. Brian was eating peanut butter in the kitchen, waiting on Goose to finish up, and he heard some squealing outside the window. He went outside and saw Goose with something in her mouth, and then when he went to see what it was, she swallowed it. He was confident it was some sort of animal. So, he put her in the crate so she wouldn't puke in our bed if she had buyer's remorse, or, you know, eater's remorse...
I was greatly disturbed by this. At 3:30am, I woke up thinking I heard Goose starting to puke. (She wasn't.) But, I put on her leash and took her outside anyways. I also took a flashlight. She immediately led me to the side of the house, where I saw a nest of sorts with something squirming around.
Side note: several months ago, Brian SWEARS he saw a rat running on the back of the fence in the alley (apparently, with the huge amount of building in Plano and North Dallas, there's a ton of unwanted wildlife in residential areas). He had told me he wondered if she'd eaten a rat. So I ran inside and told Brian I found the nest. He came outside with me, and also saw the nest, but decided there was nothing we could do that night.
The next morning, we went out again, and again, there was squirming. After an unproductive call to animal control (who said they really couldn't do anything to poison the rats b/c it would kill Goose) we decided to unearth the nest and see what we were dealing with. As soon as Brian pulled the grass and hair (what the nest was built with) back, I saw what I thought were baby bunnies! Brian still thought they were rats, so he had me go Google. After seeing pictures, I was pretty confident that they were bunnies.
So, instead of killing them, we put them in a box since I knew Goose would dig up the nest and kill the rest of them. There were 4 babies- who I named Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail and Toot (Toot is the runt. Yummo is, well, the bunny that Goose ate.) Animal Control told me to take them to the Outdoor Learning Center.
Look how cute!!

I asked the guy at the Outdoor Learning Center if he wanted to know the names I made up for them. He looked at me like I was a psycho....





1 comment:
LOL!! I like the names :)
Post a Comment